I had some pork and beef mince in the fridge last night and no idea what to do with it, so started googling around and thought spicy asian meatballs with satay sauce sounded amazing. How to make them paleo? Well, I’ll tell you how…and I’ll also tell you that my non paleo fiancé loved them, and so did I. These are a real find. This recipe made me 20 delicious little balls of joy and I served with some courgette (zucchini) noodles, though I sometimes have it with roasted broccoli with garlic and lemon. Amazeballs. Sorry again.
- Beef mince - 250g
- Pork mince - 500g
- onion - 1 small
- fresh ginger - thumb size piece
- sweet potato - half a large or one very small
- fish sauce - 1 tbsp
- chili flakes - 1 tsp
- garlic - 2 cloves
- lemon - 1 juiced
- Salt and pepper -
- almond butter - 2 tbsp
- coconut milk - 1/2 cup
- cumin - 2 tsps
- Ground coriander - 2 tsps
- Gluten free tamari sauce (or coconut aminos) - 1 tbsp
This recipe really requires a food processor to make it less labour intensive, but you could probably do it by hand if you have time.
• In a food processor, add your onion, sweet potato, garlic, ginger, chili flakes, fish sauce and half the lemon juice.
• Blitz until you've made a sort of paste, then -this is very important - set aside around 4 tablespoons of the mixture to make the satay sauce with.
• Mix the pork and beef with the paste in a large mixing bowl until you have a smooth mix.
• Taking scoops with a dessert spoon, roll the mix into meatballs.
• Pop them onto a piece of greaseproof paper and into an oven at 200 degrees for around 20 minutes or until browned on the outside.
• About 5 minutes before your meatballs are ready, melt a little coconut oil in a non-stick pan and then add your remaining reserved paste from earlier, stirring and cooking for around three minutes.
• Add your almond butter (yum), tamari sauce, cumin, coriander, the other half of the lemon juice and coconut milk and stir well.
• Serve up your meatballs with a good dollop of the satay sauce - the meatballs should have a delightful soft consistency inside and the flavours are amazing.