What on earth is a Mooli? I hear you cry. A mooli is a large, long white radish and is the next in line to get spiralized and trialled as a noodle replacement. It turned out pretty good, though most of the deliciousness was in the stock. You will definitely enjoy this!
A delicious take on the Japanese dish, Ramen
- Pork belly slices - 4
- ginger - thumb sized piece
- garlic - 2 cloves
- Spring onions - 4
- Gluten free tamari sauce (or coconut aminos) - 5 tbsp
- Toasted sesame oil - 1 tbsp
- shitake mushrooms - 6
- spinach - 2 handfuls
- fish sauce - 1 tbsp
- Chinese five spice - 1 tsp
- chili flakes - 1/2 tsp (or more to taste)
- chicken stock - 3 cups
- nori seaweed paper - 1 sheet
- eggs - 2
Oh boy, was this a good recipe! I'm going to change it slightly in the write up from how I did it because I think it will be even better this way, but let me know how you get on with it.
• Slice your pork belly into small cubes or thin slices. Dust with a little 5 spice and fry in some seasame oil on a hot heat until just browned.
• Heat your stock in a large pan, along with the garlic, ginger, shitake mushrooms, two of the spring onions (sliced finely) soy sauce and fish sauce, until it is boiling.
• Add the pork into the stock, reducing it to a simmer, then cover and leave for about an hour.
• Prep your other veg - spiralize the mooli to get your "noodles" or use a peeler to make long strips if you don't have a spiralizer.
• Chop your remaining two spring onions finely and slice your nori sheet into small strips.
• 10 minutes before the end, add your 2 eggs to the stock and boil them in the pan with the lid on.
• Remove after 4 minutes and add your Mooli noodles to the pan, making sure they are submerged in the stock. Cook for a further five minutes, or until your noodles are cooked to your liking.
• Peel and slice your eggs in half.
• When your noodles are cooked, divide the stock and noodles between two bowls. Place your spinach on top, along with the chopped spring onion, nori sheets and egg halves. Eat immediately while it's hot!
Hope you enjoy this delicious recipe!