My cousin Lucy all the way out in Australia is one of the latest converts to paleo. She decided to give it a go after seeing my (non-stop) facebook posts and along with her young daughter is trying to cut out all sugar, grains and dairy. She has been keeping me updated on her progress and has so far lost 1.4kg (almost 4lbs) in 4 days of eating paleo and, more importantly, is feeling great. What wasn’t so great though was the paleo pancakes she tried to make recently which turned into paleo slop, so I thought I’d post a recipe for her so that she and her gorgeous little girl can enjoy a weekend of pancakes together
I made mine with almond flour, but you could easily make them with coconut flour instead.
Delicious fluffy paleo pancakes!
- very ripe bananas - 2
- ground almonds - 1/3 cup
- eggs - 3 large
- vanilla extract - dash
- salt - pinch
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- bicarbonate of soda - 1/3 tsp
- blueberries (fresh) - 100g
- real butter - lots!
- coconut oil - about 3 tbsps or as much as you need
• Place all your ingredients (apart from the blueberries, oil and butter) in a blender and blend until smooth. If you don't have a blender, just mash the banana, whisk the eggs and mix everything well by hand.
• Mix in the berries by hand - you want them to stay whole!
• Heat some of the butter and oil in a non stick pan and drop about 2 tbsp full into the hot fat. Top tip - keep them really small or they are impossible to flip and with break apart!
• Cook for a few minutes and then check the underside has browned with a plastic spatula. They should also move around the pan as little solid objects so you know they are ready to flip.
• Get your spatula all the way under the pancake and flip slowly and carefully or they will go everywhere!
• Cook until browned on both sides and then wrap in foil to keep warm while you do the next ones.
• The juicy berries get so deliciously sweet when they've been heated, you will love it!