Oooh this is a lovely recipe! I had some chicken breasts that were sitting in the fridge and a fiancé who thinks chicken is “boring”. So I had a think and adapted some recipes to a delicious paleo-friendly one. Hope you all enjoy it!
A delicious tagine recipe with Middle Eastern spices.
- Chicken thighs - 2
- Chicken breasts - 2
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Ground coriander - 1 tsp
- turmeric - 2 tsp
- Paprkia - 2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1 tsp
- Harissa paste - 2 tsp
- Cauliflower - 1 head
- Courgette - half one large
- Chicken stock - 1.5 cups
- Carrot - 1
- Preserved lemons - 5 small
- Pistachios - 1 handful
- Sliced almonds - 1 handful
- Goji berries - 1 handful
- Manuka honey - 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Olive oil - 1 cup
- Chili flakes - 1 tsp
• Pre-heat your oven to 170 degrees celcius.
• Take your chicken pieces and place in a mixing bowl along with your garlic, cumin, ground coriander, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well and leave it to marinade while you prep your other ingredients.
• Take one head of cauliflower and blitz in batches in a food processor so that it resembles couscous. Add it to a glass roasting tray.
• Chop your courgette into chunks and add to the cauliflower.
• Mix the harissa paste with a couple of table spoons of olive oil, pour over the cauliflower and courgette and stir well so that everything is well coated. Set to one side while you get your chicken ready.
• Fry your chicken in a cast iron skillet if you have one, or a non stick pan, until browned all over.
• Finely slice your carrots into small sticks and add to the pan, frying until softened.
• Add the chicken stock to the pan and cook for five minutes. Chop your preserved lemons and add to the chicken, then put the skillet in the oven to carry on cooking. Put your dish of cauliflower "couscous" in at the same time.
• Cook in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until the rice starts to look very slightly browned. Remove from the oven and add the goji berries, pistachios and almonds. Cook everything for a further 5 minutes in the oven.
• Serve it all up nice and hot!